The Department of Chemistry and Forensic Science consists of two programs: Chemistry and Forensic Science. The department is well equipped with state-of-the-art equipment for teaching and research. Many of our graduates have earned advanced and/or professional degrees from some of the most prestigious universities.
Accreditation: The Chemistry Program is approved by the Committee on Professional Training of the American Chemical Society to offer ACS certified BS degree.
The Chemistry program is designed to provide strong and innovative instruction in the theory and practice of the chemical sciences. Our graduates are expected to be proficient in the methods of scientific inquiry. The program is designed to accommodate a range of career goals such as research scientists at varied research laboratories and industrial settings; and at associated professions such as the health sciences and public policy.
The Chemistry program offers courses leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science with the following options: BS Chemistry (ACS Certified), BS Chemistry and BS Chemistry Biochemistry track. Minor concentration is offered in Chemistry.
Forensic Science Major
Savannah State University will be recognized as one of the leading undergraduate universities in the nation to offer a premier degree in Forensic Science, producing graduates with exceptional scientific knowledge, practical skills and integrity to effectively support the performance of the criminal justice system.
The mission of the Forensic Science Degree Program is to provide forensic science majors with a solid scientific understanding of the applications of forensic science to the judicial system while promoting scientific integrity, critical thinking and communication skills. Develop within our students an understanding of ethical behavior at the highest level. This program will maintain cutting-edge awareness by exposing majors to current technological advances and laboratory instruments and equipment used in forensic science. The program will promote intellectual diversity, interactive and creativity centered learning experiences, resulting in a highly marketable interdisciplinary degree.
Principle objectives of the program:
- To offer an interdisciplinary Bachelor of Science Degree in Forensic Science
- To strengthen research and scholarly endeavors
- To strengthen collaboration with local and state Law Enforcement Agencies, which will assist in enhancing student learning outcomes as well as facilitate career path networking
- To offer a very interactive curriculum focusing on hands-on learning experiences
- To attract and train a cadre of outstanding under-represented minorities to the field of forensic science
- To offer a very diverse and well-qualified faculty team
- To offer a program which is current on technological advances in forensic science
- To enhance learning at the university by offering students opportunities to develop as professionals
- To improve undergraduate academics, emphasizing excellence, which will promote intellectual development and student success through a diverse, student-centered environment.
- To provide the community with various opportunities to engage in the Forensic Science Degree program through activities respective to studies, internships, seminars and professional development workshops.