Undergraduate Catalog 2021-2022 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Department of Marine and Environmental Science
Environmental Science Major
The Department of Marine and Environmental Sciences offers courses leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science with a major in Environmental Science. In addition, the program offers courses leading to a minor in environmental science for science and non-science majors. The objectives of the program are as follows:
- Provide a broad-based curriculum and specialization involving integration of information from different disciplines such as natural and social science and leading to a degree in environmental science.
- Offer courses that satisfy the environmental science curriculum requirements for persons planning to pursue careers in the environmental sciences and related disciplines as well as preparation for advanced study in environmental related disciplines.
- Offer core courses in environmental science for science and non-science majors.
- Participate in community outreach activities as professional scientists, educators and representatives of the University.
- Encourage student and faculty from all disciplines to participate in environmental research, stewardship and sustainability.
- Develop skills in critical thinking, data analysis, computer application and instrumentation usage among Environmental Science students.
Marine Sciences Major
The mission of the Marine Sciences Program at Savannah State University is to provide research, education, and outreach programs that contribute to a vital technically qualified intellectually thoughtful and ethnically diverse community of individuals capable of solving problems and answering questions related to coastal and ocean ecosystem health, environmental quality and fisheries sustainability.